Thursday, January 18, 2007

Oklahoma City

So after the Arkansas highpoint I started heading west again. The next highpoint would be in Oklahoma, which is where the wind comes sweeping down the plain. One non-highpoint stop I did want to mention though was in Oklahoma City. After a long and slow drive (because of the weather), I stopped in OK City for the night and the next day decided to spend some time downtown where I came across the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum. It is on the site of the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Bldg that killed 168, including 19 kids, and wounded over 800. This was seriously one of the most amazing museums I have ever been in and what I thought would take about an hour took over 4 hours. Very solemn. Photos aren't allowed in the museum itself but below are a few pics from the actual site and the memorials that have been set up. If you ever happen to be in that part of the world I highly recommend this stop (regardless if you think McVeigh did it or not).























































A message left by USAR Team 5








This American Elm tree was in the direct line of the blast and is still alive. It is called the Survivor Tree.





I thought the quote on the wall with the Christian church in the background was interesting.


















George Cain assisted with the recovery in Oklahoma City and later became one of the 343 on 9/11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home