Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Black Hills Trip, Day 2 continued

So after my spelunking adventure I continued north, deeper into the Black Hills. I think it was around this time that I stopped at a little restaurant in Custer and had the best buffalo burger ever. Next stop was the Crazyhorse Memorial. It is basically a gigantic rock sculpture that was started in 1948 and is expected to be completed sometime in 2237. Seriously, it was started 50+ years ago and they don't even have the head done yet. And they expect to do a horse too?! It probably didn't help that the first couple decades only one guy worked on it. Anyway, if you go, your $10 per person (or $20 per car) will get you unlimited top-notch VIP access to the exclusive, highly sought after... Gift Shop! The only other way to see the blasted thing any closer is to pay more money and take a bus up a road. Of course the road is only a couple hundred yards long so the view isn't that much better. So anyway, I left the Crazyhorse Memorial feeling thoroughly ripped off. Here's some pics:



























So, with the light beginning to fade I rushed on to Mt. Rushmore (ha). Unfortunately it was getting late in the day so the pics didn't come out all that great. I'll post more when I post about my return with D & R a few days later.







































The road to Mt. Rushmore has several tunnels that were purposely cut so as to frame the mountain as you drive towards it.















That night I slept in the truck on the side of a road and dreamed about the next days big hike...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home