Monday, December 11, 2006

The Black Hills Trip, Day 2

Have you ever seen "Calamity Jane" with Doris Day? She sings a song about the Black Hills and that's what was in my head when I awoke on day 2. It's a great song but I only know the chorus and after you sing it in your head 37,000 times it gets a little annoying. I left Hot Springs enroute to my first big stop: Wind Cave National Park. It's called Wind Cave because the first natural opening was discovered by a guy whose hat was blown off when he stuck his head over the hole. The natural entrance is just big enough for a person to squeeze through and you can feel a cool breeze coming out of it. Now the cave is accessed through a revolving door and down 300 stairs. Wind Cave is currently the worlds 4th longest at over 121 miles but that number constantly gets bigger with ongoing explorations. The only way to get in the cave is on a tour. Here are some Wind Cave pics:



























































































My ideal vacation home.

Coming Soon... the Crazy Horse Memorial and Mt. Rushmore

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take me back to the black hills...Wild Bill Hickok was played by Howard Keel who also played the oldest brother "Adam" in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, another excellent movie!

5:34 PM  
Blogger they call me... tim said...

Oh yes, a classic. That barn raising scene was a blast. And the different colored shirts the brothers wore... don't get me started!

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home